Updated Olympic and Paralympic qualification procedures for postponed Tokyo 2020 Games released
Updated qualification procedures for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games have been approved by the International Olympic Committee and International Paralympic Committee and released by World Archery.
The documents outline the number of available quota places, the events at which they can be obtained, and deadlines in the entry process.
These procedures were originally released in March 2018 but needed to be updated due to the delay of the Games caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Key principles from the original documents were retained.
All places already qualified for Tokyo 2020 remain with the qualifying nation. It is still up to each country to choose the athletes that fill the spaces at the Games.
Eighty-seven of the 128 quota places for the Olympics have already been awarded. Ninety-three of the 140 spots for the Paralympics have been distributed to date.
No further Olympic or Paralympic qualification events will take place in 2020. Where possible, the qualification events planned in the original procedure will be rescheduled in 2021.
This is not the case for the final qualifying tournament for the Olympic Games, which is now planned to be held as a separate event held immediately prior to the Hyundai Archery World Cup stage in Paris, France.
A full schedule for the 2021 season will be announced when restrictions on travel and events begin to loosen.
Key changes to Olympic procedure
- Continental qualification events in the Americas, Europe and Oceania are delayed until spring/summer 2021.
- The final qualification tournament is delayed until summer 2021 and is planned to take place as a separate tournament alongside the Paris stage of the 2021 Hyundai Archery World Cup.
- The period in which athletes can shoot minimum qualifying scores has been extended until 28 June 2021, excluding the period 1 April to 30 June 2020.
- The deadline for applications for tripartite invitations has been delayed.
- The deadline for National Olympic Committees to confirm places won at all events except the final qualifier is tentatively set as 1 June 2021, and for the final qualifier is tentatively set as 2 July 2021.
- The entry deadline for the Olympic Games is 5 July 2021.
Key changes to Paralympic procedure
- Continental qualification events in the Americas and Europe are delayed until spring/summer 2021.
- The final qualification tournament is delayed until summer 2021.
- The period in which athletes can shoot minimum qualifying scores has been extended until 15 July 2021, excluding the period 1 April to 30 June 2020.
- The period of application for bipartite invitations is rescheduled for 1-31 May 2021.
- The deadline for National Paralympic Committees to confirm places is 20 July 2021.
- The entry deadline for the Paralympic Games is 2 August 2021.
The archery competitions at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games are scheduled to begin on 23 July 2021.