Torchbearer Jane Karla’s silver at Para Pan American Champs
Jane carried the Olympic Torch on 5 May in Goiania, where she lives, one week prior to making the able-bodied national team for the first time to travel to the Medellin 2016 stage of the Hyundai Archery World Cup.
In Colombia, Jane Karla Gogel finished 17th, losing to fifth seed Lily Chanu Paonam from India in the first round.
The Brazilian para archer has high hopes for a first appearance at the Paralympic Games on home soil.
At the end of the month, Jane Karla competed in both the Pan American and Para Pan American Archery Championships 2016 in San Jose, Costa Rica. In the able-bodied event, she again lost in the first round for another 17th place finish.
The para competition was more successful as she was defeated only in the gold medal match, by Canada’s Karen Van Nest, 139-135, collecting a continental silver medal.
Jane Karla started archery in 2014 and made her international debut the same year. She was previously an international para table tennis player.
- Rosario 2014 Para Pan American Archery Championships – 5th individual
- Toronto 2015 Para Pan American Games – Gold medal individual
- Donaueschingen 2015 World Archery Para Championships – 4th team, 8th individual, 9th mixed team
- Arizona Cup 2016 Para Archery World Ranking Event – Gold medal individual, bronze medal mixed team
- Medellin 2016 Archery World Cup – 17th individual
- San Jose 2016 Pan American Archery Championships – 17th individual
- San Jose 2016 Para Pan American Archery Championships – Silver medal individual