60 seconds with… Alejandra Valencia
This week, it’s… Alejandra Valencia. The 21 year-old finished fourth at the 2016 Olympics, improving on a 17th ranking from London 2012.
In Rio, the Mexican archer upset top seed Choi Misun in straight sets, 6-0, but lost to eventual runner-up Lisa Unruh in the semis – and then to London Olympic Champion Ki Bo Bae in the bronze medal match.
1. What was your favourite toy as a kid?
I remember that my favourite toy was a mini Simba from the Lion King. He was always with me until I lost it in a tree…
2. If you could choose one superpower, what would it be?
Fly, with anything or with wings, but fly!
3. What is your biggest strength in archery?
I always keep my mind positive in any bad situation.
4. Who is your sport model?
4. If you were to design your own bow, what would you call it?
Not an English word, nor in any other languages, just a mix of letters of things that I like:
6. How much weight on your stabilisers?
7. Any equipment you change in the wind and/or rain?
8. What did you enjoy most in Rio?
The people, all the cheering!
9. Do you have a special dream?
Is not a big thing, I just want to enjoy everything I do!
That is my dream maybe: Reach the end of my life while enjoying everything on its path.
10. Will you use fat or thin arrows for indoors?
Well, I’m not used to shooting indoors so much. I don’t like it, so I don’t know if I’m going to shoot this season or not…