6 Paralympians on US squad for Beijing
Header picture courtesy USA Archery/Facebook.
“We have an incredibly strong team right now,” said para head coach Randi Smith. “They have been here working hard for a week already, training and growing as a supportive family. We are going to continue that hard work and I am very proud to bring this team to China to represent Team USA.”
Making his debut will be former triathlete Kevin Mather, who has also represented the USA at the World Para Alpine Skiing Championships, after picking up archery about two years ago.
“I definitely didn’t expect to make the team,” he said. “This means a lot of hard work to get prepared to show up on the world stage and perform well.”
The full USA squad for Beijing 2017 is as follows.
- Mike Lukow – recurve man open
- Timothy Palumbo – recurve man open
- Kevin Mather – recurve man open
- Lia Coryell – W1 woman
- Jeff Fabry – W1 man
- Jerry Shields – W1 man
- Chuck Lear – W1 man
- Ben Thompson – compound man open
- Andre Shelby – compound man open
- Lance Thornton – compound man open
- Martha Chavez – compound woman open
- Tink Wallace – compound woman open
The 2017 World Archery Field Championships will take place on 12-17 September in Beijing, China.